Saturday, June 18, 2011

That Summer by Sarah Dessen

That Summer by Sarah Dessen


Released: October 1, 1996
Publisher: Speak (Penguin Group)
Page Amount:198, US Paperback
POV:1st Person (Haven)
Buy That Summer here: BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon

OVERALL:
Plot-18/20
Characters-19/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-18/20
Pace-8/10
Ending-8/10
=90/100  A
★/5


SUMMARY:
For fifteen-year-old Haven, life is changing too quickly. She's nearly six feet tall, her father is getting remarried, and her sister—the always perfect Ashley—is planning a wedding of her own. Haven wishes things could just go back to the way they were. Then an old boyfriend of Ashley's reenters the picture, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grips with the future. -Goodreads.com


REViEW:
The plot of That Summer was pretty unique. I liked the incorporation of two weddings and constant changes for Haven. It took on more of a family story than a romance. Some descriptions were very lengthy and I found myself thinking "Is this really necessary?" It took awhile to get to the whole point of the novel. The plot was really good but something was missing for me. 


I really liked all of Ms. Dessen's characters. There were an array of different personalities and I really enjoyed that. I was able to relate with each in a special way. I loved Sumner's part of the story, he added fun and really surprised me. The characters were all very realistic and relatable. 


I really liked the ending.  It was simple but really warmed my heart.  The sisterly love was enough to make this book great. I really enjoyed this book. It had some disadvantages, but overall it was great.  The characters alone are a reason to read this book.


My Favorite Part: Sumner.  He lightened the mood, gave Haven a friend, and sounds incredibly handsome.  


ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, it's a relaxing summer read.
This was the second book by Sarah Dessen that I read (the first was This Lullaby). I recommend checking out some other Dessen books because the others that I have read were amazing.  I would have to say this is one of my least favorites by her.

Thank you all for reading! I would love to hear your comments on the book or any comments in general! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...